Friday, April 08, 2011

Partridge Run waterfall tour

I did a hike this afternoon with Howie to check out more waterfalls. Parked on Ravine Road (CR 6) near Sickle Hill Road in the Partridge Run Wildlife Management Area. Started out on the Redbelly snowmobile trail, but ended up just following along the creek. There were a series of small waterfalls and an old stone dam (now breached). Continued following the creek through a pine forest, past a small pond and then finally reached Partridge Run Road. I stopped at the two main waterfalls on the creek along the road. Next, I followed the Wood Duck Trail over to Kingfisher Road. I wanted to check out "The Gulf" - a steep ravine on the map which looked like it might have some falls - and right near the head of the ravine were two nice ones! (which were not mentioned in any book!) The bottom of the ravine was narrow with steep side walls. I scampered back up and followed a path along the ravine (and well above the bottom). I passed a ledge with a view and then went downhill until I reached the edge of state land. I headed back up and returned to the car via the paved road. It would be neat to return and see if there are more waterfalls in the Gulf. Walked about 4 miles while exploring on this cloudy day.

Partridge Run

No comments: