Sunday, April 21, 2013

Spencers Ledge

Did a hike in the Catskills today with Howie. I drove to Trails End Road in the Sundown Wild Forest. Shortly after the end of the paved road, I thought that my car wouldn't make it up to the hill to the parking area. So, I backed into a small turn-around. I backed in a little too far and promptly got stuck. My front wheel spun in the soft mud. I walked down the road and found a nice neighbor who helped pull my car back onto the road. He mentioned that he pulled someone out of the same spot last year. I parked my car further down in a safe spot, and then started the hike. Hoofed up the road to the parking area. I started following the Long path, but there was too much blow-down. So, I backtracked and took the snowmobile trail instead. There was one area with a lot of downed trees from Hurricane Irene. Lots of chain saw work done here. I continued on the road/trail for about a mile. At the "No Maintenance beyond this point" sign, I followed some ATV trails past a cabin and to a camp-site. Then, I went off-trail and bushwacked up the hill to Spencers Ledge. I went to the left of the cliffs and found an easy way up. Followed along the ledges and found a nice spot with decent views. Stopped for lunch break. Headed back down and followed the trail over to Vernooy Kill Falls. Real nice, sunny day out today..

Round-trip Distance: 9.0 mi
Elevation Change: 1100 ft
Spencers Ledge

1 comment:

Queen Monkey said...

Good thing you found a helper!