Sunday, January 19, 2014

Valatie

Did some short walks near Valatie this afternoon. First stop was at the Martin Van Buren Historic Site. Across the highway (route 9H) from the site is a small network of trails. We followed the white perimeter trail with a short side trip on the blue nature trail. Walked about 1.6 miles total.

Next, I stopped at the River Street park in Valatie. I tried to follow the blue trail along Kinderhook Creek, but there were large chunks of ice blocking the the way (presumably dumped there by the creek after the recent thaw) and it made walking difficult. I jumped over to white trail that was further away from the creek and parallel to the blue trail.  It was a bit easier to follow. Further along I jumped back on the blue trail and continued until I reached the waste treatment plant. Then I followed the road back to the car. A little under a mile walk.

Finally, I went to the Pachaquack Preserve that is on the other side of the Kinderhook creek. Followed the trail along the creek and then took the road back. About a 1.5 mile walk.
Valatie

1 comment:

Williesmom said...

Hi,
Willie says thanks for the Mo-He-Con-Nuck Preserve. Went today and had lots of fun in the snow. Did all the loops and some even twice. Great day with new snow for an 11 yr
old Husky. Didn't know this place existed. Last week we slopped thru the wet and muck at Rudd Pond. I told Willie we are following Howie.
Williesmom