Sunday, May 11, 2014

Acra Point glider crash

To find this plane crash, I had help from above ... aerial images that is. I had heard that there was a plane crash near Acra point (N2617A). Had no real info on it, except the NTSB accident report. So, I started studying the aerial images (using Bing maps) on the off chance that I might spot something. I did see somthing suspicious along the eastern edge of the escarpment between Acra point and the notch with Blackhead mountain at around 2500 feet elevation. It looked like it could be a plane body and one wing ... or it might just be some big white rocks... no way to really tell. I could also see an old road that headed down from the col. So, I programmed my GPS and headed out. Parked at the end of CR 56 and headed up the Batavia Kill trail. Went past the lean-to, which was unoccupied, and then soon reached the intersection with the Escarpment trail. Continued straight on a path and then the old road which I followed down the other side for about 3/4 mile. I then left the road, and it was a short 5 minute climb up to the site. It turns out, that it wasn't the plane I was looking for - but a glider plane. There was a number on the underside of one wing - NC1157? (as far as I could tell) I took pictures and then continued climbing up the hill back to the Escarpment trail. Followed the trail over Acra point and then back down to the car. I searched the Internet, but couldn't find anything on this glider. Had a beautiful day though for this short trek in the woods.

Round-trip Distance: 5.5 mi
Elevation Change: 1600 ft

Location of glider site: 42°17'07.4"N, 74°05'40.2"W
Acra Point

No comments: