Thursday, May 07, 2015

Cattle mountain

Climbed another obscure peak in the Southern Adirondacks. From looking at satellite images, I thought that Cattle mountain might have some views from its southern false peak. So, I went out today to check it out. Drove down Pumpkin Hollow road off Route 30. Parked near Willis Lake, since the road was closed beyond this point. I walked the remaining portion of the dirt road - about 1.5 miles. It was rutted in a few places and had one blowdown, but was not too bad. Reached the summer parking area, and the bridge over Doig creek. After crossing it, I followed a hunters path that lead north. It was unmarked, but easy to follow. After a bit, it crossed Doig creek where the creek turned east, and continued north along the western base of Cattle mountain. After almost a mile, it petered out. I checked out a beaver meadow just west of the path. I was hoping to spot the open areas on Cattle mountain. From this angle, it didn't looking promising, but I persevered. Climbed up the west side of the peak to the southern false summit. I reached the open areas and found nice views to west and south. I continued north along the ridge to the true peak and a bit beyond before returning. Black flies are starting to making an appearance, but not annoying yet. Quite warm and sunny day. Almost felt like going for a swim in Willis Lake if the water was a bit warmer.

Summit Elevation: Cattle 2129 ft
Round-trip Distance: 6.0 mi
Elevation Change: 1200 ft
Cattle mountain

1 comment:

Walking Man said...

Very nice! Impressed with your bushwhack hikes in that area of the Adks :-)