Saturday, June 06, 2015

Dead Horse

Did some exploring in the Southern Adirondacks today. Drove north on Powley-Piseco road (a long gravel road) until just before the bridge/culvert over Brayhouse brook. I parked there and then followed the unmarked woods road west (leads to Brayhouse Gore). Passed a couple of hunting camps on the way. I reached Bowers Vly and then headed north off-trail up to the eastern cliffs/ledges on Dead Horse mountain. The woods were open and mostly deciduous, but there was a lot of hobble bush to make it more difficult. Reached the base of the cliffs and then found a steep slope to climb up. One ledge in particular had a nice open view to the east and south. I continued west to find the high point and then dropped down to the woods road and back out. I also made a short side trip to the Potholers (cascades) on East Canada Creek (about a 5 minute walk).

Summit Elevation: Dead Horse mountain 2412 ft
Round-trip Distance: 6.5 mi
Elevation Change: 1000 ft

Afterwards, I drove north for about five miles. I parked and then climbed West Notch mountain. Went up its north side and the followed the ridge to the high point. I tried, but didn't find any decent views, but there were open areas and some views through the trees.

Summit Elevation: West Notch mountain 2344 ft
Round-trip Distance: 2.0 mi
Elevation Change: 550 ft
Dead Horse

 

No comments: