Thursday, July 23, 2015

Trout Lake mountain

Did some exploring in the Southern Adirondacks today. Parked at a pull-off on Route 10 - just under a mile north of where it crosses the West Branch Sacandaga river. After some searching, I found the start of the unmarked foot path that leads to Chub Lake. There was a small campsite here. I continued on the path that goes around the east side of the lake and then heads north. Crossed two small creeks near a beaver meadow. The trail split and I followed the left branch that leads toward the lower cliffs on Sherman mountain (dubbed McMartin). Shortly after, I lost the path. The woods were open and I would have only continued on for another 1/4 mile anyway. So, I just started my bushwhack early up to Trout Lake mountain. It was easy going all the way to the summit. Dropped down west to the cliffs. The best viewpoint were from some ledges about 100 feet below and SW of the top. From there was a 180 degree view to the west. A nice spot to take a quick break before heading down. I wasn't able to find the path again until I reached the creek crossings. Even then, you don't see the path until you are practically on it. I backtracked to the split near Chub Lake mountain that leads to the cliffs on Chub Lake mountain (dubbed Lost T). I took the path to the top of the cliffs. There were some views to the NW above the trees. From there it was a short climb to the summit. Came back down and checked the cliffs from below. Then, I headed back to the car.

Summit Elevation: Trout Lake mountain 2228 ft, Chub Lake mountain 2111
Round-trip Distance: 5.0 mi
Elevation Change: 1400 ft
Trout Lake

No comments: