Sunday, November 04, 2007

I'll sleep when I'm dead

I took advantage of the "extra hour" to go hiking today. Howie and I climbed Big Indian and Doubletop in the Catskill mountains. It was a long adventure involving a lot of off-trail navigation. I started from the Seager trailhead where two other hikers were also starting out (they were climbing different mountains). At the trail junction, I continued on the old unmarked road until it seemed to peter out. From this point, I decided to bushwack directly to Big Indian. Anyway, I found the canister easily enough and then headed over to Doubletop following the land boundary for most of the way. There were some traces of a path here and there. Reached the herd path on Doubletop which led me right to the canister. Went back and found a couple of view points, but not a great day for views with the dark skies. Headed off the summit initially west (toward Graham) and had to correct my direction - contouring around and then down in a NE direction eventually ending up in a drainage and then back at the old road/trail. Contrary to the weatherman, it was not a mostly sunny day.

Summit Elevation: Big Indian 3700 ft, Doubletop 3860 ft
Round-trip Distance: 11.0 mi
Elevation Change: 2470 ft


Big Indian and Doubletop

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for the money for amazon


cba

Winter Warlock said...

Wow - a Zevon fan, are you?

Sounds like a good way to use the extra hour!