Friday, April 30, 2010

Snow Hole

I took the afternoon off and did some hiking with Howie. Started at the Petersburg Pass trailhead on Route 2. Headed north on the Taconic Crest Trail. Passed a couple of viewpoints and then stopped at the snow hole - a crevice in the ground which holds snow until end of spring. It was a cool spot (literally) to stop and eat my turkey sandwich ... out of the sun and away from the few bugs that were out.

Returned to the car and still had some energy. So, we headed south up Mount Raimer via one of the old ski slopes. Got to the top and then returned.

On the drive back, I stopped at Grafton Lakes State Park. Parked at the fishing access lot on Shaver Pond road. Did a short loop hike to the pond and back (using the Fish Access, Nature and Wild Wood trails). Mosquitoes were out, but were not too bad if you kept moving.

Altogether, covered about 8 miles of trails. On the way home, I stopped at Stewarts. The guy in line in front of me was buying 15 (!) half-gallon containers of ice cream.

1 comment:

QM said...

Oh boy...I feel so out of hiking shape compared to you. Spent 13 hours at work today...