Friday, March 18, 2011

Almost spring

It was a very nice afternoon (sunny and warm). I took off from work at lunch and did a short hike with Howie at Moreau State park. It's only 50 miles north, but there was quite a bit more snow than at home. The conditions varied from deep snow (2-3 feet) to no snow with mud. If you stayed on the path which was already packed down, you could keep from sinking in too much. Although, in a few places I sunk in up to my knee cap. I wore micro spikes to give me some more traction for the steeper parts towards the top. After a little huff and puff, I reached the overlook and took a short break before heading down. Saw nobody else on the trail. Everyone I saw was sticking to the paved (and plowed) road around the lake. Guess they don't like the mashed potato snow.

Round-trip Distance: 3.0 mi
Elevation Change: 800 ft

Moreau

No comments: