Friday, October 07, 2011

Moose

I took the day off and did some hiking in the Southern Adirondacks. Howie and I climbed Moose mountain (near Wells) from Route 30. This mountain has no trails, so I had to bushwack (off-trail navigation using compass/GPS). I followed a small creek up to a marshy, flat area. I got tired of trying to find a way around it and just headed up the southeast ridge. There were a series of small cliff bands. Had to find a way up through them which involved some scrambling. Finally reached the summit and stopped for a snack. I followed along the ridge and visited a bunch of other ledges and open areas with nice views to the south. Back to the col, I took a bearing of almost due south. The sun was nearly in the same direction at this time, so navigation was as easy as following the sun! Reached the mucky area and skirted around to the west. Followed the creek back down to the road and finally my parked car. Nice Fall colors and perfect weather today!

Summit Elevation: Moose 1840 ft
Round-trip Distance: 3.0 mi
Elevation Change: 840 ft

Moose

It was early, so I did another hike nearby. Followed the path along Tenant Creek. Visited all three waterfalls. It was about a 4 mile round-trip.

Tenant Creek Falls

1 comment:

Queen Monkey said...

Bushwacking? That's pretty hard core.