Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Sweet

Did two hikes in the Adirondacks today with Howie. First, climbed Sweet Fern Hill in the Hammond Pond wild forest area. Took the trail to Hammond Pond. After a mile of easy walking on the old road, I reached the outlet of the pond. Crossed the outlet, and then started a bushwack up to the top of the hill. There were some cliffs that I had to find a way around. Soon I was rewarded with views of the pond below and the surrounding mountains. Continued on to the summit. There were many open areas along the way. Not much to see at the top. Headed back down a different route. Caught some more view points. At the bottom of the hill, I reached a beaver pond on the brook. I then just followed along parallel to the brook and soon reached the road. It was then a short walk back to the car.

Summit Elevation: Sweet Fern Hill 1460
Round-trip Distance: 3.5 mi
Elevation Change: 520 ft

It was still early, so I climbed Severance Hill near Exit 28. Fairly quick climb to the top and back down.

Summit Elevation: Severance Hill 1638
Round-trip Distance: 2.2 mi
Elevation Change: 770 ft
Sweet Fern Hill

No comments: