Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Number eight is great

Did a short hike this morning with Howie. We climbed Number Eight mountain in the Pharaoh lake wilderness of the Adirondacks. Started from the trail-head on Pharaoh road. Followed the trail/road for about 10 minutes, and then started bushwacking up the west side of the mountain. I was proud of myself that I navigated up and down without using the GPS. (I had it on to record my track, but I wasn't using it.) I mostly just followed the terrain, and checked periodically my compass heading. Tagged the summit and then took a break at the grasssy view area below the top. While heading back, I followed a flagged path for a while, but it veered south presumably heading to someones camp. Not a great day for photography (mostly cloudy and grey), but there was still some nice fall colors in the valley below.

Summit Elevation: Number 8 mountain 1946 ft
Round-trip Distance: 3.5 mi
Elevation Change: 1000 ft
Number Eight

No comments: