Saturday, July 19, 2014

Final Farewell

I went out today to spread Howie's ashes in the woods. I chose Howard mountain in the northern Adirondacks as the spot - since we both had climbed it before (2012 trip report), and of course the name. Parked at the trailhead on Tracy Road in North Hudson. Followed the trail to Crowfoot pond for about 0.6 miles. Then, went off trail and headed SW toward the summit. Passed a small beaver meadow. Stopped at the summit to spread Howie's ashes and say a final farewell. Goodbye, Howie my little beagle buddy ... You belong to the mountains now. Afterward, I headed back down. Went past Little Howard Pond on the way.

Summit Elevation: Howard 1710 ft
Round-trip Distance: 3.5 mi
Elevation Change: 660 ft

After returning to the car, I literally went across the street and climbed Feeder mountain. This is another small trail-less peak. I traveled in a northerly direction climbing the ridge, and then turned more westerly as I got higher up. There were views from the patches of open rock along the way. Reached the top and then went down a more direct route. It was steep in spots with small cliffs to negotiate around, but made it back to the road about 1/3 mile away from the car.

Summit Elevation: Feeder 1653 ft
Round-trip Distance: 2.5 mi
Elevation Change: 590 ft
Howard

2 comments:

Williesmom said...

A thoughtful memorial to a wonderful hiking buddy. I try not to think about hiking without Willie. Take care and enjoy the mountains.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. You sure made him a happy dog; I loved seeing all those pictures with his little doggie smile. You were lucky to have such a wonderful companion.
Ned