Friday, September 19, 2014

Middle of Nowhere

Took the day off and went hiking in the Adirondacks near Lake George. Drove the dirt road to Jabe Pond (off of Split Rock road). There was one steep spot where I got to test the AWD in my Subie. Wouldn't recommend that stretch in an regular car. Made it to the main parking lot and was the only car there. Took the trail around the north side of Jabe Pond to the farthest campsite. Then, bush-whacked west up to the top of Middle mountain. No real view from the summit, but there were some cliffs a bit south of the top, that had great views to the north, west and south. Catamount mountain looked real close.  Could see the cliffs across Fly Brook valley that I explored last year from Wardsboro road. After some snacks, I headed back down and eventually reached a swampy area and then a beaver pond in the notch. Continued east toward Jabe Pond and then around its south side. Eventually I picked up paths and then the trail again. I also did a short climb up Number 108 mountain. There were some minor views through the trees at a rocky clearing south of the top. After tagging the non-descript summit, I went back down to the pond and the trail which I followed back to the car. A sunny, but cool day for hiking.

Summit Elevation: Middle 1867 ft, No. 108 1640 ft
Round-trip Distance: 5.5 mi
Elevation Change: 1000 ft
Middle

No comments: