Sunday, October 12, 2014

Bald

Went for hike in the Southern Adirondacks today. Climbed Bald mountain near Warrensburg. It is one of the Three Sisters. I had previously climbed the Middle Sister in the Spring. The last sister is Pine mountain (home of Hickory Ski Center). Parked at the end of Katts Corners Road. Followed the old snowmobile trail for about two miles. Where it split, I took the left branch that led up hill. After a short while, I left the trail and then headed up the southern side of Bald mountain. It was steep near the top and I ran into some cliffs. I thought I was hallucinating as I could hear voices that sounded close by. I headed around the west side of the peak and found an easier way up. Ran into a few kids that I had heard from below. The summit is surrounded by a semi-circular ring of ledges with views to the west, south and east. I explored the top and all the different viewpoints. I decided to go down a different (easier) route. Headed north and soon picked up an old eroded logging road. I followed it for a bit to an odd clearing. It seemed to be veering east, so I left it and continued down hill. I picked up another old trail farther down that led me straight back to the snowmobile trail. Then, it was a quick walk back to the car. Beautiful day out.

Summit Elevation: Bald 1980 ft
Round-trip Distance: 6.5 mi
Elevation Change: 1400 ft
Bald

No comments: