Saturday, May 26, 2007

Phelps

Got up early this morning (5 AM !) and drove up with Howie to the ADK Loj. Our destination today was Phelps mountain. The first time I climbed this high peak, I didn't have any view (clouded in). So, I wanted to revisit it and see what I missed. I thought I would mix it up a little by doing a loop (bushwack up one side and then take the trail down).
So, off Howie and I went down the VanHovenberg trail. Stopped at Marcy Dam for a break. Howie took a dip in the water - one of many for the day for it was a sunny and warm out (70s). Next, we headed down the truck trail to the bridge over Pelkey brook. An older couple were resting here. The lady took a folding stool out of her pack, set it up, and then sat down. (I thought this was kind of funny.) The brook crossing was the start of the off-trail portion of the trek. The couple probably thought I was nuts just heading off into the woods. After a short while, I picked up a trail of sorts (boot-leg ski trail), and then reached a nice, open birch glade. At this point, it was nice to be hiking with no one else around (especially on Memorial Day weekend). Toward the top, the forest changed to conifers, but was never really thick and I didn't have any problems. We reached the summit and there about a dozen people at the large viewing ledge. Had lunch, took some photos and then headed back down the marked trail and returned to the car. It was good to get out and go hiking today ... instead of having to play "dog detective". I was surprised at how few bugs there were ... and they weren't really biting.

Summit Elevation: Phelps 4161 ft
Round-trip Distance: 9.0 mi
Elevation Change: 2100 ft


Howie hiking


On the summit


Foot bridge

1 comment:

Queen Monkey said...

Looks like you got your views that you had missed before.