Saturday, April 12, 2014

Cedar

Did a hike in the southern Taconics today -climbed Cedar mountain. This wasn't my original plan when I left the house, but the dirt road I was driving on (East Street) was a bit wet and rutted. I played it safe and turned around - not wanting to get stuck in possibly soft mud. I instead did this hike, which I had done before. I parked at the lower NY lot and started on the Cedar Brook trail. Within a minute, I left the trail and headed uphill through mostly open woods. I didn't have any points  programmed in my GPS, so I was mostly winging it (and occasionally using my compass). I veered a little north and off course and had to correct. I thought I was nearing the cliffs, but it didn't seem right. I got into an open area (which had a nice 180 degree view to east-south-west). I could see the cliffs to the east of me. I contemplated trying to make my way through the brambles, but instead dropped down a bit back into the trees where it was more open. I soon reached the cliffs I was aiming for. I continued down the south side of the mountain, staying to the east to avoid the steepest stuff. I soon reached the road at the bend and then the upper parking lot. After enjoying the view at the lookout, I took the marked trail down to Bash Bish falls. Lots of people out enjoying the sunny day. Then, I followed the easy trail along the brook back to the car.

Round-trip Distance: 3.5 mi
Elevation Change: 1000 ft

I also visited High Falls in the Philmont.
Cedar

No comments: