Sunday, April 06, 2014

Mt. Wilcox

Did a hike in Berkshires today at Beartown State Forest. Parked on Blue Hill Road and started out on the Appalachian Trail (AT) heading north. Passed Benedict Pond and then continued on up to the Ledges. Nice views to the west. There were a couple of turkey vultures hovering around. Stayed on the AT until I got to the shelter. Then, I cut over to the road and followed that to the top of Mt. Wilcox. There was an old fire tower that has been converted to a communications tower. It was fenced off, so there was no option to climb it. I continued on down the north side of the mountain on the road. It was still covered with snow and ice that had been packed down by snowmobiles. I soon reached Benedict Pond road which I took back. At one point, I saw a couple of bears cross the road about 50 yards ahead of me. I reached the trail that cut back over to AT, and was shortly back at my car. What a beautiful Spring day to be out.

Summit Elevation: Mount Wilcox 2105 ft
Round-trip Distance: 8.0 mi
Elevation Change: 1115 ft

Beartown

No comments: