Friday, August 29, 2014

Unnamed (North Squaw)

Got a jump start on long weekend and went hiking in Adirondacks today. Climbed a small un-named peak in the Hoffman Wilderness near Exit 29. This peak is north of Wyman Hill and Squaw mountain, and only the elevation is marked on Topo maps (893 m). Bit of an isolated peak - it was an adventure just to get to it. First, I parked off Route 9 near the North Hudson town line at an unmarked dirt road. I followed the road west for about a mile to the Schroon River fishing weir. I walked the road, but it looks like it gets some vehicular traffic. I contemplated crossing here, but thought it would be too slippery. I went a few minutes south where the brook comes in from Squaw mountain. The river was a bit wider here, and I could see the bottom. I put on my water shoes and waded across. It was mostly knee high, except in one low spot where it reached my crotch. The water was cool and there was some mild current (around 1-2 mph). I got to the other side of the river and then followed the brook to the Northway (Interstate 87). There is a small pedestrian tunnel just south of the culvert for the brook. There were no real paths leading to this point, so I don't think it gets much use. I passed through the tunnel to the other side, and continued following the brook for short while. Then, I headed north and up to the ridge. There were a series of small ledges and cliffs all along the southern side leading up to the peak. The woods were fairly open as I picked my the route. Eventually I reached the top which had views to the east, south, west and north toward the high peaks. After a snack, I headed back down. Dropped off the ridge sooner and followed a drainage which eventually lead back to Squaw brook. Then, followed the same route back to the car.

Summit Elevation: North Squaw 2274 ft
Round-trip Distance: 6.0 mi
Elevation Change: 1500 ft
Squaw

2 comments:

Williesmom said...

No Benny on this hike. Probably too long and challenging for a new guy. Willie would get to the water and stop there. He is not a fan of water crossings.

Grog said...

Benny would have enjoyed the hike to the river, but after that it would be too much. I will take him out this weekend for an easier hike.