Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Pisgah

Did some exploring in the Central Adirondacks today. From Lake Abanakee, drove Chain Lakes Road to the former Gooley Clubhouse. Parked in the small lot there. The gate was closed at this point, so I hoofed it along the Gooley club road for about a mile. Then I headed north off trail and reached Big Pisgah mountain after a short climb. Woods were fairly open, and there no ledges or cliffs to contend with. I explored around the burned over areas that provided views to the south and west.  After tagging the true summit, I headed over to Little Pisgah which had similar views. I returned back to the Gooley club road using one of the logging roads that I had crossed. It lead me right to the parking area used by hunters in the fall. I also checked out Clear Pond via the marked trail (yellow DEC markers in addition to the original markers), before returning to the car.

Summit Elevation: Big Pisgah 2211 ft, Little Pisgah 2200 ft
Round-trip Distance: 6.0 mi
Elevation Change: 1100 ft
Pisgah


I drove a little bit back down the road and parked at a roadside campsite. I checked out some low cliffs that are just 1/4 mile west of the road. Had decent views for the little amount of climbing involved.

Round-trip Distance: 1.5 mi
Elevation Change: 400 ft

 

No comments: