Saturday, June 20, 2015

Third Brother

Went for a short bushwhack hike in the Eastern Adirondacks this morning. I climbed the Third Brother near Brant Lake. I had already climbed the first two on a previous trip. I parked on Route 8 near the culvert for Spuytenduivel brook. I entered the woods and followed along the left bank of the brook. There was a path of sorts (marked with faded white paint). The brook had decent flow and there were several small cascades. I left the brook and followed a branch that heads up to the col between the Second and Third Brother. But first I had to get around a small beaver pond near the start of it. After going around the west side of the pond, I headed up northeast toward the peak. It was a moderately steep climb most of the way, but there were no terribly tricky parts. The woods were also very open and I started to get views about half up the mountain. I soon reached the top and explored around for more views. I headed down west and picked up the Camp Reed path which I followed to the col. Then, I dropped down the south side of the ridge and picked up the branch brook. Went around the beaver pond further to the west over a little knob (elev. 1020). before reaching the main brook. Felt nice to soak my feet in the cool waters of the brook. Had lovely weather for a quick hike. Only a few mosquitoes were out and biting.

Summit Elevation: Third Brother 2003 ft
Round-trip Distance: 3.5 mi
Elevation Change: 1140 ft
Third Brother

No comments: