Saturday, September 04, 2010

oh deer

I did a walk with Howie this afternoon at Deer Mountain Preserve near Ravena. This area was created by Lafarge Cement to improve their environmental image.
I parked and started out on the western trail. There were interpretive signs along the way. The weather was a bit unsettled. It would rain lightly and then the sun would come out. Even though I had left my jacket in the car, I didn't get too wet. At one point, I saw a rainbow. It was only half one, and just a single.
Soon I reached power lines, and then followed some ATV trails the rest of the way around the swamp (I was winging it at this point). I eventually found the eastern trail and took that back to the car. This was a nice preserve which was marred only by the "hammering" sound coming from the plant off in the distance. Walked about 3+ miles altogether.

Deer Mountain Preserve

1 comment:

Williesmom said...

Never try this place if it happens to be a wet year. Tried last year and had to turn around due to over ankle mud and millions of mosquitoes.