Saturday, October 02, 2010

1 + 1 = 10

I did two short hikes with Howie in the southern Adirondacks. The first was up to the cliffs on Balm of Gilead mountain. I parked at the end of Old Farm road (nearly hitting a wild turkey on the drive in). The trails were a bit wet, but you have to expect that after 3-4 inches of rain. Nice views at the top of Thirteenth Lake and the surrounding mountains.

Round-trip Distance: 1.7 mi
Elevation Change: 550 ft

Balm of Gilead


The second hike was Chimney - a neat little mountain with interesting rock formations (including the chimney) and several caves (I didn't go in any). Spent quite a bit of time exploring the summit area. Lots of other hikers out on this fine day.

Summit Elevation: Chimney Mountain 2721 ft
Round-trip Distance: 2.0 mi
Elevation Change: 900 ft

Chimney mountain

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a dream last night that I was responsible for Howie and he kept escaping. You had to locate him on horse (guess I'm playing too much Frontierville!)

Grog said...

He escaped from my backyard last week. Ending up at a neighbors house about 1/2 mile away. Good thing he has a tag.