Sunday, November 14, 2010

Damn dam

I went out today to maintain my section of the Escarpment trail. Parked at the trailhead on NY Route 23 and started out. The beavers had built a dam upstream of the first foot bridge and flooded the beginning of the trail. I tried to dig a diversion ditch to channel some of the water away, but it was a lost cause. I went back to my car and drove to the other trailhead on Peck Road. I climbed Windham mountain from there. The trail was in pretty good shape beyond the lean-to. It was a nice day to be out.

Summit Elevation: Windham 3524 ft
Round-trip Distance: 6.0 mi
Elevation Change: 1480 ft

2 comments:

Williesmom said...

It was a beautiful day in the Catskills. Went with Willie to the Colgate Lake trail. Managed to get as far as the second bridge and the entire trail for as far as I could see was completely under water. Willie was disappointed when we had to turn around. Boot sucking mud and 6" of water is not a fun hike. I did notice a lot of water by the WHP trailhead.

QM said...

Darn wildlife!