Sunday, May 22, 2011

B-B-Bear

I did some hiking today in Pittsfield State forest in Massachusetts. Didn't have a map with me, so I had to wing it a bit. Parked at a pull-out on Route 20 and started out on the Beacon trail. It climbed steadily until reaching a plateau. Was walking and a ruffed grouse suddenly stirred to life. Then later I saw a black bear who realized my presence and took off. After that little scare, I continued on the white-blazed trail. It started going downhill, and then reached a highway. Noticed a red car parked there. Hey wait, that's my car! Somehow I had done a loop and not realized it. Walked about 2 miles.
Next, I drove over to the main entrance and parked in a lot. I started hiking on the Honowee loop trail not really knowing where it went. Eventually I started hearing running water and then could see a foot path not far below. I cut over to this path. It followed along the cascading brook nearly the whole way up. It was one of the nicest paths I have been on in a while. Nice and soft dirt path with little mud or rocks or roots. Eventually I reached the road and then a nice viewpoint. I then followed the Taconic Crest trail past Berry pond and then on to Tower mountain. I returned back and stopped at the brook to soak my feet. The water was very cold, so I didn't soak them for too long. Got back to car after walking an additional 6 miles or so. Had a nice day out on some new trails.
Pittsfield State Forest

No comments: