Sunday, September 09, 2012

Ragged

Did a hike in North Adams, MA today with Howie. From the first trailhead on Notch road, took the Bellows trail south for about 2.5 miles. It was easy walking on the old road. Then, I followed the short, but steep path up to the southern summit of Ragged mountain. Stopped at the viewpoint for a lunch break. Next, I continued on the herd path for a bit, but I lost it. I just headed in the general direction I wanted to go. Eventually, I hooked back up with another path just before a cave like opening under a jumble of big boulders. I continued on up to the northern knob which had a lot of open rock and a view toward Mount Greylock. Followed the path south to the view over Adams town. I then tried to find the correct path back. I found it, but again I lost it and had to bushwack a short distance back to the southern summit. Returned back to the car via the trail.

Round-trip Distance: 7.0 mi
Elevation Change: 1300 ft

After the hike, I did a short walk to a waterfall (The Cascades). It was dark and difficult to photograph. Had to hold my camera steady against a rock because of long exposure time. The walk to the falls and back was about 1.2 miles round-trip. A nice, cool sunny day for hiking. Oh, and Howie ate a mouse.
Ragged

1 comment:

QM said...

Nice waterfall photo!