Sunday, August 04, 2013

Flag Rock

Did two short hikes in the Berkshires today with Howie. First hike was to Flag Rock. Fairly easy climb from the trail-head on Route 183 near Housatonic. Wish I had brought my bug spray as the mosquitoes were biting when I stopped. Nice views to the west from the ledge which was unfortunately covered with graffiti.

Round-trip Distance: 3.8 mi
Elevation Change: 650 ft

Next hike was up East Rock. Started from the trail-head on Quarry St (near Pine St) in Great Barrington. It was a steady climb up. At one point, it rained lightly for a few minutes and then the sun cam back out. I took shelter under a rock overhang. It was a near a ladder which lead to a little view. I continued on the path which became less distinct to the top of East rock. No view from the top that I could find. Headed back down.

Round-trip Distance: 1.6 mi
Elevation Change: 600 ft

Flag Rock

3 comments:

Williesmom said...

I thought I had done every hike in the Berkshires. Looks like you found a new one for me to try.
Thx, I am sure
Willie will enjoy it in cooler weather.
Williesmom

Grog said...

It's a nice hike. Tricky to find the trailhead. Trail starts near telephone pole number 18. Park in the grass off the road. On route 183, park st, near ramsdell road. It's actually the back side of monument mountain preserve.

Williesmom said...

Thank you.