Friday, October 03, 2014

Off my rocker

Went for hike in the southern Adirondacks today near Wells. Parked at an unmarked pull-off on Gilmantown Road just past the bridge over Elbow Creek. Followed an old road for about 100 feet to the creek. Looked like a nice camping spot, but there was a "no camping" sign there. The road seemed to end here. I crossed the creek and headed up towards Mount Overrocker. The woods were mostly open deciduous trees with some witch hazel to contend with. Crossed a couple of old logging roads on the lower slopes. Reached the top and continued down the south side. There was a nice ledge just a short distance SW from the top. Could see Mt Orrey to south and Round mountain to the west. Then, it was a sharp drop down as I continued down to the col. I climbed the next un-named peak which didn't offer any views. Then I headed more westerly toward Round mountain. Dropped down to the col and the beaver pond nearby. Crossed a hunters path. Then it was a short but steep climb up to the top of Round. There were a couple of open, rocky areas. But, they were not sloped enough, so the trees blocked a lot of the view. I found what I figured was the true summit and then headed back down to the car.

Summit Elevation: Overrocker 2132 ft, Round 2431
Round-trip Distance: 5.5 mi
Elevation Change: 1700 ft
Overrocker

No comments: