Saturday, January 12, 2008

Round about

I did a hike today in the Catskills with Howie. Our destination was Roundtop mountain. There is no trail to the top, so it was a combination of trails, old roads and bushwacking. Parked on Gillespie Road in a small parking area near Cortina Lane. Continued walking along the road for another mile. At the barrier, went straight ahead toward the creek. I followed along the creek on up towards the state snowmobile trail (which loops around the two peaks). Headed off-trail in an easterly direction toward Roundtop. Conditions were Spring-like with very little snow left in the woods after the warm weather this past week. Had some decent views on the way up. Not much to see at the summit except a fire ring. Went back down in a southerly direction, eventually hitting the snowmobile trail. I must have been daydreaming as I was ambling along. I ended up on another road/snowmobile trail which was taking me in the wrong direction (south toward Platte Clove road) and off state lands. Backtracked and then found my way back to the car.

Summit Elevation: Roundtop 3440 ft
Round-trip Distance: 6.0 mi
Elevation Change: 1200 ft
Roundtop
I also did a short hike to Kaaterskill Falls (just over a mile).
Kaaterskill Falls

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How come Howie never takes YOUR picture?

Grog said...

He never gives me tummy rubs either.