Saturday, January 19, 2008

Winging It

Howie and I did a couple short hikes today in Schoharie County. The first one was a little difficult to find as it's in the middle of nowhere. I parked on Leonard mountain road near the state forest sign. We started walking up the fire tower road. Some hunters had driven about a third of the way up. It was somewhat slippery in spots with 2-3 inches of snow over a thin coating of ice. In the summer I imagine you could drive all the way up. We made it to the top with the rusty fire tower. The bottom stairs had been removed to prevent people from climbing it. I think it's supposed to be restored in the near future. There were still some views from a clearing (west toward Gilboa reservoir) and through the trees.

Summit Elevation: Leonard Hill 2620 ft
Round-trip Distance: 3.5 mi
Elevation Change: 410 ft

Leonard Hill

On the way out, I made a wrong turn somewhere and ending up in Middleburgh. So I decided to climb Vroman's Nose which is near the village (and I have done a couple times before). It was a quick up and back hike.

Summit Elevation: Vromans Nose 1240 ft
Round-trip Distance: 1.5 mi
Elevation Change: 490 ft

Vromans Nose

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the second batch of photos, Howie looks like he's flying as the ledge is hidden behind the caption.

Grog said...

He's UNDERDOG !!!