Monday, June 01, 2009

Devil Dog

I climbed Plateau mountain in the Catskills today. I did a loop starting on Notch Inn Road. Walked up the gravel road to the start of the new Warner creek trail. There were a lot of switchbacks in the new trail to moderate the climb. Passed several viewpoints on the way up. The last two on the new trail had the best views. Stopped at a spring so Howie could get some water. Continued on to the junction with the Devils Path. Turned right and followed the path over the true summit of Plateau and on to the eastern viewpoint. Had a quick snack break and then head over the long flat ridge (around 2 miles) to the opposite end. Met one couple on the way. The guy dubbed Howie "Cujo". I stopped at the western view point for another break before heading back down the steep trail to Notch Lake. Followed the highway back down to my parked car. A nice sunny day for a hike.

Summit Elevation: Plateau 3850 ft
Round-trip Distance: 8.2 mi
Elevation Change: 2450 ft

Plateau

2 comments:

Williesmom said...

I enjoy reading your hikes with Howie. Gives me some ideas of places to take Willie. He cannot do the mileage that Howie does but we have fun anyway.
Where did you park your car to do the new trail up Plateau? Last time down there I could not find any parking area.

Grog said...

There is really no trailhead there. I just parked at the start of Notch Inn road just off Route 214. On north side of this road, there is ample room to park for a couple cars. I walked up the road past a couple houses and continued on the old road (marked with yellow discs) until I got to the new trail start (marked with blue).