Saturday, July 14, 2012

Dog days of summer

I did some easy walks/hikes in the southern Adirondacks. Our first stop was Kunjamuk cave. Drove into the Speculator tree farm on dirt roads. Got to within 1/2 mile and then walked the rest of the way. Could have driven in further. Crossed the bridge over the Kunjamuk river and then reached the short foot path that led to the cave. The cave itself was a small room and had an entrance and a "skylight" hole.
Next, drove on old route 8 to see Austin Falls. Parked and then wandered around. Took a quick dip in the pool. Water was surprisingly warm. Saw a dead deer in the one of the potholes.
Afterwards, drove over to Griffin. Stopped at the gorge and took another dip in the water. Then I followed the old road/snowmobile trail over to Auger falls. It started to thunder and rained lightly for a bit. I was hesitant to continue, but kept on going. I was happy I did as it cleared up after 20 minutes. Soon, we reached the river above the gorge area. I followed some paths back downstream and along the top of the cliffs above Auger falls. Found a way down to a nice pool below the falls where I took a quick dip. Got back to the main trail and continued walking along the river for another 1/2 mile before turning around.
Didn't do too much walking on this very warm day (4-5 miles), but had fun exploring and keeping Howie and myself cool.
Sacandaga 2

2 comments:

Queen Monkey said...

With all the quick dips, I thought it was Howie who was writing the blog!

Grog said...

no, Howie's blog post would be:
sniff sniff sniff pee sniff sniff sniff dip in creek sniff sniff sniff sniff snacky snack sniff sniff sniff sniff