Saturday, February 22, 2014

Rooster Hill

I did this hike solo today in the southern Adirondacks. I parked along the shoulder of Route 10 near Arietta at start of the Third Lake trail. A hunter was just ahead of me with two beagles. I followed the trail which was well packed by snowmobiles, for about 0.8 miles. Then, I headed off trail and up the northern slope of Rooster Hill. This is where the fun started. I was wearing snowshoes, which were up to this point unnecessary. But now, even with them, I was still sinking at least a foot with each step. Needless to say, it was slow going. I had forgotten how much effort it takes to "break" trail. After a little less than half mile, I reached the cliffs which had some filtered views down to West Stoner Lake and the surrounding hills. I stopped for a snack and then tagged the true summit before I headed back down. Got back to the car and my legs felt like Jello. Had a nice day weather-wise.

Summit Elevation: Rooster Hill 2200 ft
Round-trip Distance: 3.5 mi
Elevation Change: 525 ft
Rooster Hill

1 comment:

Williesmom said...

Did look like a nice day to be in the woods. Breaking trail can be a real challenge, I have not done that since Blackhead in the Catskills, and I don't care to do it again. It is nice to know someone else writes the names of their former hiking partners in the snow. Better days are coming.