Friday, June 20, 2014

Baldface and Venison mountains

Climbed two small peaks in the Adirondacks (Hudson Gorge area). Parked on North Woods Club road in the pull-off just before the bridge over the Boreas River. Headed north into the woods with the destination of Baldface mountain. Followed along the river for a while until the terrain forced me to climb. The woods were mostly open and I followed or crossed lots of deer paths on the way up. I eventually reached the eastern side of Baldface mountain. There was a band of cliffs 10-20 feet high so I had to continue north a bit until I got to mellower terrain. I kept climbing up and then tagged the summit (wooded). Continued in westerly direction and then a bit south to some open rocky areas. There were some nice views - mostly to the south. I found more views lower down and to the east. I couldn't find an easy way down since there were ledges all along the southern face - so I had to head north and around the eastern cliffs. I took a slightly different route back (more to the east).

Summit Elevation: Baldface 2046 ft
Round-trip Distance: 4.5 mi
Elevation Change: 850 ft

Next, I drove back up the road a bit to the hairpin turn near Kellogg mountain. I parked in a small pull-off and then headed east toward Venison mountain. Had to first cross Bullhead Pond creek. Then, it was a short but steady climb up - steep in spots. There were some ledges that I had to find ways around, but nothing too hard. The best viewpoint was at a spot SW of the summit. Went to the apparent highest point at the top, and then headed down a slight different way (more to the north). A real nice day out - mostly sunny with a nice cool breeze which helped keep the mosquitoes away.  Only people I saw all day were campers down near the river.

Summit Elevation: Venison 2314 ft
Round-trip Distance: 1.5 mi
Elevation Change: 650 ft
Baldface


No comments: