Sunday, April 19, 2015

Mile Square

Went for a short hike in the northeastern Adirondacks today. Climbed Mile Square and Claybed mountains in the Hammond Pond Wild Forest. I parked on Ensign Pond Road at a small unmarked parking area (room for 2-3 cars). I grabbed my pack and headed into the woods. It was a short, but steep climb up. The woods were very open and mostly coniferous. It was surprisingly dry with 99% of the snow gone at these low elevations - just a few spots of stubborn snow here and there. There were nice southern views from open rock just south of the top. After tagging the summit, I headed back down in a westerly direction. After reaching the saddle, I continued west up Claybed mountain. No real views from this lowly peak - just some filtered ones through the trees. I headed down in southeast direction. Eventually, I reached an old road, that is now an unmarked hunter or fisherman's path. It lead me right back to the Ensign Pond road. Then, it was a 10 minute walk back to the car.

Summit Elevation: Mile Square 1747 ft, Claybed 1539
Round-trip Distance: 4.0 mi
Elevation Change: 1120 ft
Mile Square

No comments: