Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Moose

I climbed Moose mountain in the southern Adirondacks today. This peak is in the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest (near Georgia and Harrington mountains). I parked on NY Route 8  and started out on the path to Little Joe pond. After 5 minutes, I turned right onto the Moose mountain snowmobile trail. Followed that for about a mile to the notch. From there, I headed off trail and up to the eastern (and highest) peak. After tagging the top, I found views from some rock slides just south of the top. I headed back to the notch and then climbed the western peak (and lower by just a few feet). I descended the southern side which had nice views from some burned over areas. Eventually, I reached a notch and followed the drainage back down to the highway. From there, it was a mile walk back to the car.

Summit Elevation: Moose 2560 ft
Round-trip Distance: 4.5 mi
Elevation Change: 1100 ft

Next, I drove up the road and parked at another pull-off on Route 8. I followed the unmarked fisherman's path that leads to Eagle pond. I lost it at a point past the beaver pond. So, I  just bushwhacked from there about 1/4 mile to the cliffs on a ridge of Harrington mountain. After enjoying the views, I descended and was able to pick up the path again near the beaver pond. Nice warm, sunny day for a trek in the woods.

Round-trip Distance: 2.0 mi
Elevation Change: 660 ft
Moose

No comments: