Saturday, June 15, 2013

Starbucks

This post is about mountains, not coffee. There actually is a Starbuck mountain in the Adirondacks. Climbed this trail-less peak with Howie. Parked on Route 28 near Cleveland road and headed into the woods. Within a few minutes, I picked up a well defined path which I followed. Reached Raquette brook and there was a plank of wood to cross it. Continued on the path past a power-line cut and then reached some cliffs. Looked like a popular rock-climbing spot. Followed the path on the right to the top of the cliffs. No views at the top of them. I continued on up the mountain. There were no more paths, so this was bushwacking time. I was getting close to the upper cliffs, but it was getting too steep and I didn't see any easy way up. So, I dropped back down to the valley between Starbuck and Black mountains. Reached the creek that drains Black mountain pond. There was a field of stinging nettles to cross in this wet area. Made it through those and followed the creek uphill to the notch. Then I headed west up the mountain. Finally reached the top of the upper cliffs. There were several ledges with great views looking east, south and west. Could see Snowy mountain way off to the west. After soaking in the views, I headed up to the true summit. Not much to see there. Made my way back down.

Summit Elevation: Starbuck 2556
Round-trip Distance: 3.0 mi
Elevation Change: 900 ft

After the first hike, I climbed Hackensack mountain in Warrensburg. Parked at the trailhead on Prospect street. The area was a little confusing with a maze of logging trails. I actually started out on the wrong trail. After realizing it was unmarked, I back-tracked and then found the correct one. It was a short, but steep climb to the top. Took a few pics and headed down. On the return, I took a different trail past a beaver pond. Nice warm, sunny day. Bugs not too bad - mostly mosquitoes in the lower areas.

Summit Elevation: Hackensack 1357
Round-trip Distance: 2.5 mi
Elevation Change: 570 ft
Starbuck

1 comment:

QM said...

Pretty hike!