Saturday, May 02, 2015

Barton High Cliffs

Went for another hike in the Adirondacks today. Visited Barton High Cliffs in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness. Parked on NY Route 8 at a scenic pull-off. Walked five minutes back down the road to a small creek (a branch of Swede Pond brook). Started my bushwhack here, following the creek uphill to a level area. It was a bit swampy here with a bunch of blowdown. I continued north along the east side of Brace Hill. Eventually I veered off and started climbing the unnamed hill (elev. 1910) that the cliffs are on. I got a little too far up and had to climb back down to the cliffs. It was an easy traverse along the tops of the cliffs to the east end. That were lots of views along the way. Dropped down the east side into the valley a bit too far. Had to climb back up to the area below the cliffs. I climbed partway up the hill to the north and traversed across. There were nice views from open areas of the cliffs overhead. At one point, I dropped down into the notch to check out the boulder field. There was still snow here and it was significantly cooler. It was too difficult try to make my way through the boulders, so I went around them to the north. Eventually I reached a branch of Spuytenduivel brook. I followed it uphill, and then back down the other side to Route 8 again. Warm, sunny day for a little off-trail adventure.

Round-trip Distance: 5.5 mi
Elevation Change: 1300 ft
Barton High Cliffs

No comments: