Thursday, May 14, 2015

Pine Hill

Went for an off-trail adventure in the Adirondacks today to climb another forlorn mountain. Drove on the gravel Charlie Hollow road (off Charlie Hill road) until the last house/camp. I parked here and then continued walking west on the dirt road (also a snowmobile trail). When I reached State land boundary, I left the road and headed south and down to Alder brook. Rock hopped across the creek and then hiked up the north side of Pine Hill. I reached a band of cliffs around elev. 1400. After a steep climb, made it to the top of them and had some nice early views to the north and west. Continued on up and reached a clearing with a view to the east. Eventually, I reached the false summit (elev. 2076). From here, I travelled east to the true peak. There were survey bolts/anchors at the rocky top, so this must have been a survey station back in the day. I ventured around the east and southern sides just below the top, to check out all the views from the clearings. The black flies at this point were swarming, but not biting. Had a very pleasant day for my trek in the woods - lots of sun and nice breeze at times.

Summit Elevation: Pine Hill 2187 ft
Round-trip Distance: 6.0 mi
Elevation Change: 1600 ft
Pine Hill

1 comment:

Williesmom said...

Beautiful day for a hike. Left work early and took Willie on all the trails at the Schodack Town Park. Wandered around in Hoffman Notch on Sunday, very hot but no bugs at all. I know they will show up soon. Glad Benny had a fund day.